Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Mid-week update

In my job as aggregator of LeBron James-related stories, I would be remiss if I didn't give you the link to the terrific story -- "Believeland" -- by ESPN.com's Wright Thompson. It's a long read, so give yourself some time to digest.

Thompson takes a deep look into why Clevelanders hurt so much in the wake of  "The Decision" by "The Player Who Left."

And it's the kind of story only an outsider could write. Excellent piece of journalism.

* * *
I have no insight into why Jill McCartney was fired as director of the Tuscarawas County Chamber of Commerce.

Jill was/is a prolific Facebook poster and has more than 1,000 "friends." Many of those "friends" offered her support and encouragement in the wake of her job loss. Nice of them.

I suspect she will find out that some of the "friends" she thought were "friends" when she held the Chamber post won't be such good "friends" now. I'm quoting the word "friends" because I'm referring to the Facebook version of such, which is a somewhat phony representation of what a friend should be.

It's been my experience that you have Facebook-type "friends," which can number in the hundreds and, I guess, even thousands, and you can have real friends, which you can count on a couple of hands.

Jill's no dummy. I bet she's already figured this out, based on who did and who didn't respond to her post that she had joined the ranks of the unemployed.

Anyway, good luck to Jill. And good luck to the Chamber.

No comments: